Monday, June 26, 2017

Airport Security

[Note: This was in my drafts folder. I don't know when it was written, or what actually inspired it. My opinion hasn't changed, though]

First off, I saw a news clip earlier today where a TSA spokesperson said, basically, "Don't make a scene, just let us do our job and go through the process. don't make people wait for their flights". I agree with that *in principal*; One person standing up for their rights should not, under any circumstance, inconvenience those who are willing to sacrifice their rights in exchange for ... whatever they get. I can rant for at least 10 minutes on Civil Liberties and Security, and Quote Thomas Jefferson and all of that -- but you've all heard that rabble before. And you'll hear it again, undoubtedly. That isn't the point of this.

I am not an abuse victim. I am over the legal age of consent for any activity in the United States, with the Sole Exception of becoming President. Nonetheless, I don't want to go through the backscatterogram (not the official name) or be fondled. it's not that I believe there to be any health risk to the former, and it's not that I object to having someone touch my genitals. My issue is that I don't think it helps.

That's right, I don't think it helps to have an intrusive pat-down procedure, or a back-page x-ray glasses-style picture taken. Neither of those things is going to make the terrorists stop hating us, neither of those things s going to help catch people who don't want to be caught (okay, it might catch stupid people who don't want to be caught, but I'm not worried about them), and neither of those things are going to allow us to continue calling ourselves the land of the free. What would help? Honestly, there is a much deeper problem (of which terrorists are merely one symptom)

No comments:

Post a Comment